Health & Safety packages to support employees working from home
“As an employer, you have the same health and safety responsibilities for home workers as for any other workers.” (Health & Safety Executive)
The Covid-19 pandemic has changed the world in many ways and we are all aware of the dramatic shift to working from home during the pandemic, meaning that for many employees their home is now their workplace.
Recent research indicates that homeworking, in some form, is a developing trend that is here to stay.
In an article by Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development it found employers across all sectors are almost unanimous in their desire to see working from home increase following the relative success of its implementation.
However, as part of employers’ legal duty of care, employers have to consider the safety and the security as well as the workstation set up of employees’ home working arrangements and the Health & Safety executive (HSE) are very clear about employer’s responsibilities click here.
Employers often tell us they are worried about how to meet the above requirement and frequent questions include:
- Is working from a dining table and chair OK?
- What equipment should the employer provide and how can we avoid wasting money on purchasing the wrong equipment?
- What safety aspects do we need to consider for a home-based employee?
- How do we address fire safety in the home?
Lincoln Occupational Health has partnered with an Ergonomist and Health & Safety expert to create various options regarding ensuring the health and safety of home workers. Below is a brief outline of each option.
- Homeworkers self-assessment package
- This is designed to be a one-stop homeworker assessment and support package and the checklist gives information and guidance covering:
- Safety: home safety to address fire and electrical safety, slips trips and falls
- Security: being a remote worker, personal safety and how to securely work from home
- Workstation Assessment: how to set up your workstation to work safely and comfortably in line with the Display Screen Equipment (DSE) regulations
- Personal Readiness: for remote working and returning into physical teams/workplace – including professional/personal concerns, travel and Covid-19 clinical vulnerability.
- Cost: License to use the tool is £695 plus VAT. It can also be branded and small changes can be made at no extra cost, although larger changes may incur an additional cost.
- Homeworkers self-assessment package (as above) with follow-up 50 minute webinar
- We can tailor the content of the webinar to match the specific needs of your employees and any key themes identified from the homeworker self-assessment checklist.
- Cost: As above plus £550 plus VAT for webinar
- Wellbeing at your workstation – virtual workshop/webinar
- This live one hour workshop provides key information and guidance about ways to get the best out of your homeworking set-up. We can tailor the content to match the needs of your employees and can cover posture, workstation tips for comfort and safety and general health and safety tips.
- Cost: £595 plus VAT – the webinar can be recorded.
- One to one virtual individual workstation assessments
- It is a requirement of the DSE regulations that a suitable and sufficient assessment of the workstation is undertaken. We can arrange for an Occupational Health Nurse Advisor to carry out a virtual assessment and supply management with a report containing a summary of the assessment and recommended actions for management consideration.
- Cost: £195 per one off assessment although this cost can reduce depending on numbers.
- One-to-one 20 minute virtual individual home working support sessions
- This is not designed to satisfy the legal requirement for a workstation assessment but can be a useful reminder for people just wanting a little extra in the way of tips and advice regarding homeworking comfort and posture. Advice and guidance is given to employee with no feedback to employer.
- Cost: £65 per session.
- Management Referral Service
- As always – our Occupational Health management referral service is available for employees who are experiencing health problems and a full Occupational Health (OH) opinion is needed to advise management on fitness to work and recommendations regarding adjustments.
- Cost: £210 per OH referral.
For enquires regarding any of the above services please email Katie@lincolnoccupationalhealth.co.uk